So I think I’ve established just how much I love garlic – from my miso caramelised garlic bread, to making my own black garlic at home, I will endlessly try to find more excuses to have more garlic in my life.
I also really love mayo. The answer? Black garlic aioli.
Black garlic is made by slow cooking garlic at low temperatures, until the sugars caramelise to an inky black, leaving soft cloves that are so much sweeter than plain ol’ roasted garlic. I used a little squid ink here just to boost the colour along, but you don’t have to – the mayo will just be a deep, delicious caramel brown.
Black Garlic Aioli
- 1 large egg 60g
- 8-10 cloves of black garlic*
- 300 ml vegetable oil or other neutral flavoured oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 0.5 tsp squid ink optional**
- In the bowl of the food processor, add the egg, garlic, salt, lemon juice and squid ink.
- With the food processor running, pour the oil down the chute in a thin stream.
- The mixture will start to thicken. Keep adding oil till it thickens to the point that it can hold soft peaks.
**I used squid ink here just to make it extra black. If you'd like, you can leave it out, and the mayo will take on a brown, caramel colour.
Are you an aioli fan? Have you tried black garlic? Let me know what you think in the comments!!