Food Recipe

Carb on Carb Love: Koshari Recipe

A plate of Koshari sits on a table set with smaller plates, cutlery, and middle easter inspired napkins

As the months get colder, it somehow feels more acceptable to dig into a huge bowl of carbs. But not just one kind, mind you, no, it has to be layers upon layers of different carbs, with sauce and crispy shallots over the top.

Introducing my Koshari recipe – a carb lover’s winter dream come true or rice, pasta, lentils, chickpeas, a tomato based sauce, crispy shallots, garlic vinegar and hot sauce. And of course, my twist on it with Persian rice, because the Persian in my house wouldn’t have it any other way.

And how can you go wrong with butter and rice?

Bonus points: it’s vegetarian, and if you use oil instead of butter, it can be vegan too!

[yumprint-recipe id=’1′]

Have you had koshari before? Or maybe you’ve got a favourite carb-heavy winter warmer? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!

teafortammi-logo

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Dannielle @ Zamamabakes April 17, 2015 at 12:44 am

Tammi this looks like Christmas on a plate, so many treasures to enjoy in one sitting, love it and perfect for the cooler weather!
    Thanks for coming to join in the fun with us at Fabulous Foodie Fridays this week, such a pleasure having you.
    Have a delicious weekend!

• Reply tammi April 22, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for dropping by Danielle! It’s been a favourite in my household because it’s also so budget friendly – great for feeding large groups of people!

• Reply Lauren @ Create Bake Make April 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I feel exactly the same way, cooler weather = carbs! I think all of the carb lovers in my house will love this one too!

• Reply tammi April 22, 2015 at 11:21 pm

It’s been a running favourite in mine – I’m glad I could share it with you! Thank you for hosting Fabulous Foodie Fridays!

• Reply Catherine Holt April 20, 2015 at 10:35 pm

When it gets colder I seriously dive for the carbs! This is a plate of goodness!

Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

• Reply tammi April 22, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to stop by, Catherine!

• Reply Noha April 5, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Hi Tammi
    Can I share your koshary photo on my fb page?

Thanks!

• Reply Wendy January 23, 2020 at 6:06 am

???? Hola hermosa; ahora te cuento porque nos hemos reído tanto. . El Kushari es uno de los platos que más me gustan del mundo mundial, nunca lo he preparado y te daré un voto de confianza, a pesar que no eres egipcia.
    Mi marido es Saudí y yó soy de Guadalajara _España; hemos vivido muchos años en Jeddah y ahora vivimos en Guadalajara. En jeddah hay un restaurante cochambroso, horroroso! Pero preparan el mejor Kushari, ni siquiera en Egipto hemos comido un Kushari tan delicioso.
    Porqué nos hemos reído tanto? Porque tú y tus lectores hablan de comerlo en tiempo frío por tanto carbohidratos y nosotros lo hemos comido bajo el clima de medio oriente, 50 •C, también es cierto que intentamos caminar y nó rodar, así es que, lo comíamos talvez, cada 2 meses.
    Éste fín de semana lo preparo y te cuento. Gracias por compartir ???