I’m a huge fan of homemade Christmas gifts, and because I had excess Grapefruit Marmalade, I thought it would be fun to make Grapefruit Marmalade Jam Drops with the kids to gift the special people in their lives with homemade Christmas Hampers!
I made this recipe with my 4-year old and 3-year old nephew, and they had a lot of fun making the indents in the cookies, and then eating the results afterwards! The cooled cookies can still be a little sticky where the jam is, but will hold up well enough to be packed into jars or treat bags to gift.
- 125g butter, softened
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 190g – 240g self-raising flour
- 150ml of any jam (I used homemade Grapefruit Marmalade)
- Heat your oven to 180C.
- In your food processor or standing mixer, cream butter and sugar. Make sure that the sugar is completely dissolved, or your cookie will spread heaps.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix till completely combined.
- Add the first 190g of flour and mix. If the mixture is a little runny – which can happen especially if it’s a hot day – add the last 50g with the mixer or food processor running, a tablespoon at a time, till it starts to clump and rolls into a ball.
- Roll heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls, and, using your thumb, make an indentation in the middle of the cookie.
- [img src=”https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7517/15844030558_f2a7ecc56c_o.jpg”]
- Fill the hole with jam – about 1/4 tsp depending on the size of the indent – and bake till lightly golden around the edges. Leave to cool completely.